Fiberfiend is currently blogging on her attempt to knit an almost authentic Bohus sweater.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Body and Soul


While my DH drove us almost 8 hours to the Estes Park Wool Market, I knit on the Yellow Lace Bohus. On size 0 needles, I knit, and I knit, and I knit. One sleeve was finished on the drive out, the other on the way home, and the body is underway.

I did tink and then re-knit (for the 5th time!) the neckline. A simple twisted rib for 3/4 of an inch, and I'm so glad I did; the fit is much better and the look is what I wanted. The trick (since I knit the neck in rib once before and didn't like it) was using 000 size needles. Thank goodness the alpaca yarn I'm using for the neck and body is so forgiving; I'm not sure I looked that good after ripping four times!

But by reknitting the neckline into a much smaller, neater configuration, I can't try it on as I go anymore. So I'm not at all sure about the sleeve length. You would think that after knitting as many sweaters as I have, I'd know how long my arms are. But everytime I rely on trying on the sleeves just before I knit the cuffs to ensure the length is right. I'm thinking these may end up bracelet length depending on the blocking; if I really don't like how long the sleeves are I can always cut off the cuffs, knit more length, then graft the cuffs back on. But I hope I don't have to.

Note the cuff bind off is in yellow; now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to add any colorwork to the bottom of the sweater. Right now I've just completed the waist shaping decreases; another 10 rows straight and then I'll start increasing back out for the hips.





1 comment:

  1. Sorry I didn't get to see you and your fabulous sweater at the Market. In spite of the rain I am so glad I went.

    ReplyDelete