Fiberfiend is currently blogging on her attempt to knit an almost authentic Bohus sweater.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Join Me


Interested in knitting your own Brenda Cardigan? Feel free to join along! I'll be posting the pattern as I knit complete with any problems (and solutions!) I encounter along the way.

The first step would be to knit a swatch. (I know, I know. But it's the only way in this case to know what needle to use.) Since I am an extremely loose knittter, I usually end up with a needle two sizes smaller (sometimes more) than that recommended. So I'm going to suggest you first try your swatch with a size 8 since I found gauge with a size 6. By knitting three repeats of the chevron pattern (see graph) your swatch should measure 6 1/2" x 9 1/2" after lightly blocking.

(I'm sure you know this, but just in case: if your swatch is too big, go to a smaller needle; if it's too small, use a bigger needle.) The graph has no key, but uses standard lace symbols; two stitches to the right of the yarn-overs are right leaning decreases. I used k2tog. Two stitches to the left of the yarn-overs (except on the first row) are left leaning decreases. I used ssk. You may use whatever decreases you prefer. Between repeats is a row of separation stitches; wrong side rows are purled with the exception of the separation row, which are purl on right side, knit on wrong side. All clear? Happy knitting!



1 comment:

  1. Hi! I think your Brenda Cardigan is just beautiful. I was going to print it out to give it a try, but the HTML that appears between the pattern lines is very confusing. Can that be deleted? Thanks!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete