Fiberfiend is currently blogging on her attempt to knit an almost authentic Bohus sweater.

Monday, May 31, 2010


Starting over may have been a storm cloud with a silver lining; a chance to do a better job the second time around.

I knit the neckband to be doubled; ribbed on one side, stockinette at a small gauge on the other, with a turning purl row to separate the two. Liked the stockinette so much more than the rib that I plan to use the stockinette as the public side. (Funny thing, though; cast on correct number of stitches per pattern, knit at pattern gauge, and the neckband looks sort of big....)

Changing the colorwork sequence was a plus as well; too much green my first attempt, even though I tried to match the original. This time the colors seem more harmonious, and the pattern more discernable. The yoke, now knit on size 3 needles, is still a little smaller gauge than called for; just shy of 10 stitches to the inch (pattern calls for about 8.5). Any looser, though, and the fabric would be too loose; in fact, I'd like it a little firmer (but down that road lies madness.....). I'll knit the larger size yoke and adjust the body for the fit I want.

As I knit the yoke (for the second time!) I'm amazed at the genius that conceived of this pattern. The Bohus designers, most notably Karin Ivarsson who designed The Yellow Lace Collar and The Swan; Kerstin Olsson, designer of The Wild Apple, The Egg, and The Mist series; and Anna-Lisa Lunn of the famous Blue Shimmer, were amazingly creative. Using Fair Isle as a basis for many of these designs, the artists managed to raise them beyond Craft to Fine Art using purl stitches to add textures and depth that Fair Isle alone does not produce. This may be the most beautiful yoked sweater I have ever knit. And that, of course, is what makes the Bohus experience so elevating; connecting to the remarkable and unrelenting pursuit of artistic excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment