Fiberfiend is currently blogging on her attempt to knit an almost authentic Bohus sweater.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

False Start


I joined the Colourmart Lovers group contest on Ravelry so I could finally justify my desire to knit a "knock off" of the Bohus classic "Yellow Lace Collar". The "contest", such as it is, runs for two months, from May 20 to July 20. I'll knit the original pattern, with the original gauge, but with alternate yarn. Body will be alpaca (from Colourmart; that's the contest, to use Colourmart yarn), the yoke will be angora blend yarn, some of it hand dyed by me. Colors will be as close as I can get to original, but won't be authentic. If it turns out well I'll move to an authentic kit for my next project.

Swatched both stockinette and fair isle with many needles; I will need to knit ribbing on size 000 needle, the yoke on size 0, and the body on 00.

Before the contest officially started, I tried a tubular cast on for the neck, but didn't like how it looked. I really don't want a fold over collar, so I guess I'll just do a long tail cast on and go from there. This will be a cardi knit in the round and steeked, then cut and button bands added.

Cast on noon, May 20, 2010, while in the car on the looooong drive from Minneapolis to Grand Forks to visit the kids..... And knit and knit and knit during the five days we were there.

I knit a fair bit of the yoke and was surprised to find how much harder it is to knit two handed colorwork when there are purls involved! I've been doing two handed fair isle for many years, and have a real rhythm for it, but when a row has 3 colors AND purls, the rhythm is lost. It's lovely, but pretty slow going.

Three days into the project I finished the reached a part of the yoke where the darkest of my colors gets knit in. After three rows of the dark color with light spots added I decided I didn't like it. Colors were just too strong for a Bohus. So I'll have to pull out those three rows of almost 400 stitches each, in sticky angora, and change colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment