Fiberfiend is currently blogging on her attempt to knit an almost authentic Bohus sweater.

Monday, March 16, 2009

I Get By with a Little Help



I like knitting lace - most of my recent knits have been lace. I'm not much of a Knit Along girl, though, but I thought I'd give it a try, so I joined the Ravelry KAL for the Vernal Equinox Shawl, and this is the result. I have made shawls in the past, but always rectangular ones, never a triangle or semicircular.

The interaction of other participants was new to me; I live in an area where I don't know any other crafters, and have become kind of a Lone Knitter, if you know what I mean. No one else to look at my work as it progresses, no one else to oohhh and aahhhh over the intricate pattern or the subtlty of my ssk left leaning decrease, no one to recognize the beauty of my Wollmeise. I don't get a whole lot of feedback, as it were, except from DH who, bless his heart, would praise a garter knit scarf on par with this lovely shawl if I knit it. So when another knitter complimented my finished Vernal Equinox I was first surprised, then pleased, then, in an odd way, felt a little exposed. I mean, no one who knows anything about the craft has ever looked at my work before. No one who could tell if I screwed up the pattern in row 189 has ever had the opportunity to point that out to me. All of a sudden my own standard for what's "good enough" seems a little low (and I'm known as something of a perfectionist.)

Being part of a larger community could be both a good and a bad thing........



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment